Journey Awards Scholarships
$4,000 In Student Athlete Scholarship Money
There is a direct correlation between success in the lives of youth and their participation in sports. However, the costs of training, competition and organizational fees continue to increase faster than family incomes. It is increasingly important that individuals and organizations establish new scholarships, while existing scholarship sponsors increase the number and amount of their awards. The Journey Awards Scholarships was established to offer children who lead multifaceted lives with the required financial support and mentorship to directly impact their immediate goals and propel them towards greater success.
1. Journey Awards Scholarship is open to all student athlete enrolled in a credited educational institute between the age of 12-17 who are pursuing academic and basketball goals beyond high school in order to be considered for an award.
2. Applicant must be a registered member of an organized basketball team, league, houseleague or training program.
3. Applicant and at least one parent or guardian must agree to mentorship from a P.H.A.S.E. 1 Alumni as a part of the application process.
4. Applicants from all regions of Canada are eligible, however priority will go to youth living in Canada's lowest income neighborhoods (based on applicant postal code).
P.H.A.S.E. 1 has partnered with National Youth Mentorship Program to help deliver the mentorship for our scholarships.
The NBYMP is an innovative, non-profit platform for youth that provides strong and valid mentorship from high-level professional basketball athletes, university basketball athletes and college/university coaches (all with Canadian ties).
This platform also provides youth with access to financial literacy and sport psychology services, along with access to various strength and conditioning coaches, nutritionists, spiritual development coaches and sports physicians.
August 5th- Scholarship and Committee Announced
August 15th - Website open for applications. Closed after first 100 registrations or on April 14.
September 20th- Final 100 applicants contacted.
September 29nd - All applicants assigned a mentor
October 15th - Deadline for completed applicant submissions.
October 22nd - Finalist announced
November 15th- Final winners announced
* Awards will be presented directly by alumni in the winners community or sent by mail.
JOURNEY AWARDS SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
Journey Awards Scholarship Committee - is to oversee the annual scholarship and to ensure the timely and fair disposition of scholarship funds. The committee is charged with publicizing and soliciting applications and making decisions based on the applicants’ responses. It is also the responsibility of the committee to distribute the scholarship(s) and follow up with recipient(s) to ensure the scholarship(s) awarded is received.
Troy Claxton, Entrepreneur, Owner Progress Inc.
Toni Dawkins, Business Professional, Graphic Communications Management
Krim Lacey, Professor, University of Michigan - Dearborn
Basil Dawkins, Business Professional, Construction Foreman
Kevin Wilson, Entrepreneur, NBYMP
Nina Hinds, Entrepreneur, Nutrition and Fitness
Dorian Andrews, Entrepreneur, President at AAA Striping & Seal Coating Service
Colter Simmonds, Business Professional, Coach
Khadija Tappin, Business Professional, Finance
Tristan Martin, Business Professional, Finance
Keith Vassell, Entrepreneur, The Rock Sports